- Main Dish
Some dishes need no formal introduction.
And that’s most certainly the case with this iconic Spanish recipe.
Because whether you’ve tried it or not, most of us have heard of paella. (Hint: it’s well known because it’s delicious!)
Indulge in a saffron loaded seafood paella that you can make at home in a snap!
- Servings 4
- 3 cups Rice (Using exclusive measuring cup included with rice cooker)
- 4 Shrimps with head
- 1/2 Squid
- 8 Mussels
- 12 Clams
- 3 oz (80 g) Chicken thigh
- 1/2 Onion
- 4 Cherry tomatos
- 1 of each Bell peppers (red and green)
- 4 Black olives
- 1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1/2 Soup stock cube
- 2/3 tsp Salt
- Black pepper for flavor
- Parsley, finely chopped for garnish
- 4 slices Lemon cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup (100 ml) White wine
- Salt and pepper for flavor
- Remove the skin of the squid and cut it into rounds. Devein the shrimp without peeling them and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove sand from the clams and rinse the mussels.
- Place the shrimp and clams in a heavy pan and add some white wine. Cover the pan with a lid and heat.
- Once the shells for the clams are open, add squid and turn off the heat. Close the the lid and steam for 5 minutes.
- Take out the ingredients from the pan and strain the soup extracted during the steaming. Keep the soup for later.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch (2cm) cubes, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the onion coarsely. Remove the seeds from the green pepper and then cut it into 1 inch (2cm) cube. Slice the black olives into rounds. Remove the cherry tomato stems and cut into quarters.
- Place the washed rice in the inner pot and add the soup taken from the seafood. Add water up to level 3 of the scale for “Plain” (level 6 for the 10-cup cooker). Add the crushed soup stock cube, saffron, salt and pepper. Mix everything together,
- Place chicken and the finely chopped garlic and onion in the inner pot. Select the “Mixed” menu, and press the [Start/Rinse-free] key.
- When cooking is complete, add green peppers, black olives and tomatoes. Allow time for these ingredients to be steamed for 2 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients and place the dish on the serving plate. Serve with the fish and shellfish. (If the fish and shellfish are cold, warm them in the microwave before mixing them with the rice.) Sprinkle on parsley and serve with lemon.
WHAT IS PAELLA?
Well, that’s a complex question – with a lot of different answers
While there are myriad variations being served under the umbrella moniker Spanish Paella worldwide, maybe the one thing most people can agree on is that the basis of a proper paella recipe is saffron seasoned rice.
The dissension typically arises when it comes to the other ingredients that get added along the way.
Now, the original dish hails from Valencia. A true Paella Valenciana utilizes a mixture of rabbit, snails and beans.
However, there are many other common paella ingredients like chicken, chorizo, vegetables and mixed seafood that you’re likely to find in other preparations.
For this delicious seafood paella recipe we’re using a combination of head-on shrimp, squid, mussels and clams. They impart the essence of the sea into this saffron loaded rice recipe.
We also opted for chicken thigh meat to bring a bit more savory substance to the composed dish.
Whether this is a true authentic paella recipe may be hotly contested – however it’s one of our all time favorite seafood recipes. And we think you’ll love it!
Oh, btw… we’re also going to make this paella recipe in one of the least traditional ways. In a Japanese rice cooker!
AN EASY PAELLA RECIPE YOU CAN MAKE AT HOME
Bomba, a short grain rice, is the most common paella rice. But feel free to use what you’ve got on hand for this seafood paella.
Use the inner pot of your rice cooker to prepare the saffron rice and chicken using the Mixed setting. Then simply prepare your seafood according to the recipe instructions.
When everything is finished, mix it up and serve it up!
We think you’re going to absolutely fall in love with this Spanish seafood paella recipe.
Products used in this recipe
Induction Heating Rice Cooker JKT-D10U/18U
Made in Japan The TIGER JKT-D multi-functional induction heating (IH) electric rice cooker allows yo […]LEARN MORE